April 30, 2009

Marinera sauce and wheat noodles


This was a real budget meal. With this whole out break of swine flu in Mexico. Money has been really tight lately. This recipie can be made with pretty much anything. This time I had on hand onion (red and white) garlic, tomatoes and a box of sauce .

Everytime I make this it is a real garbage bowl type of meal. You can add pretty much anything you want. It is also a really good way to get kids to eat a variety of vegetables. I chop my veggies in my little mini chopper and then the kids cannot pick them out.

I sauteed it all up, added the sauce and a bunch of basil (one of the herbs that is doing really well here)


When put on wheat noodles this turned into a pretty healthy meal. Yeah!!!!

This is also a great leftover meal. It is easy to reheat the sauce and can be used on more noodles, put on lasagna noodles or put on pizza dough or on french bread and make french bread pizza. The kids love this dish in all forms.

Marinara Sauce on Foodista

4 comments:

Samantha said...

You know I'm Italian... So I'm am extremely picky about my sauce! but I have never been a fan of chunky sauce... I always blend my whole tomatoes!! Something you can try is to putting some olive oil in a pre-heated pan and throw in some minced garlic (and onion if you choose)... let this get all "happy" (as Emeril) says. keep it moving because you don't want it burning when it gets all golden brown you're ready to add the other ingrediants! This is my favorite part of my sauce the garlic smells great!!! and it really pulls the flavor out! =)

Refried Dreamer said...

we make the same kinda sauce here.
A little evoo and garlic... then i add zucchini, red onion, a can of whole stewed tomatoes, a little tomato sauce (here in Mex. we might add a chipotle or two for some extra flavor) and whoila! Last night, we didn't have too much stuff, so we substituted cremini mushrooms, a jalepeno (for a little kick), celery, italian seasoning, garlic, can of tomatoes, tomato sauce and whole wheat penne pasta. Mmmm... I'm hungry all over again.


The kids love to help make this.... it's almost like a comfort food. Aaaahhh.... home. <3

Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

Almost every dish that I make starts with this! YUMMY and it does make the house smell sooooo wonderful. once the garlic and onion are "happy" I usually throw in the bell peppers - YUMMY!!!

Alisa@Foodista said...

Yum!Looks great!Hope you wont mind but I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online